The Old Fish and the Sea
The great shadow had been moving above for days, but it was the scent of the tuna—fresh, cold, and drifting exactly at forty fathoms—that drew me from the deep dark of the Gulf Stream. For years beyond my count, they had been my sustenance.
I did not know the line was a trap. I only knew hunger, and then, a sudden, piercing betrayal in my jaw.
When I felt the iron bite, I did not panic. I am a great marlin, two feet longer than the skiff that floated far above me, and the ocean has always belonged to my strength. I shook my head to throw the hook, but the line held, taut and humming with a strange, heavy vibration. So, I turned my nose toward the deep water and began to swim.
I felt the weight of whatever was on the other end. It was not the quick, mindless pull of a shark, nor the heavy, dead drag of a drifting log. It was a patient weight. A stubborn weight. It anchored itself to my life, and together, we began a long, terrible journey through the dark purple water.
For two days and two nights, we were bound. I towed the shadow across the sea, my great tail sweeping in steady, rhythmic strokes. The line cut into the corner of my mouth, a constant, burning ache, but I felt a strange respect for the creature above. It did not give an inch of slack. When I surged, it held. When I slowed to rest my aching muscles, the tension remained, constant as the pressure of the deep ocean. We were two forces locked in a silent argument, miles from any shore.
On the third morning, the sun rose like fire, and a great weariness settled into my copper-striped flanks. My vision blurred. I needed to see what it was that commanded such endurance.
I began to circle.
With each great turn, the line shortened, pulling me inexorably upward toward the blinding light of the surface. I broke through the skin of the water, leaping high into the air to shake the burning iron from my mouth. The air was thin and useless, but in that split second of flight, I saw my tormentor.
It was not a monster. It was a man, small and withered, his skin cracked like dry mud, his hands bleeding as they gripped the line. His eyes were the color of the sea, and they looked into mine not with hatred, but with a terrible, desperate love.
I fell back into the water with a crash, the circles growing smaller, my heart bursting with the effort to stay alive. I was the king of these waters, but the old man above was pouring his very soul through the cord into my jaw.
On my final pass, close to the wood of his boat, I gathered all my remaining strength. I turned on my side, my great silver belly flashing in the sun, and tried to drive my sword through the shadow.
But I was too slow. The old man rose above me, his arms lifting a long shaft of ash wood.
The harpoon struck deep, finding the core of my strength. For a moment, the pain was a brilliant, blinding white. Then came a great calmness. The burning in my jaw vanished. The weight of the line disappeared. My life poured out into the clear blue water of the Stream, staining it a deep, rich crimson.
As I began to sink, no longer fighting the gravity of the ocean floor, I looked up one last time through the reddening water. The old man was leaning over the gunwale, weeping and pressing his bleeding hands against my side, securing me to his boat.
We had fought a beautiful, honorable war, and though my journey was ending in the dark, I had been conquered by a brother.

No comments:
Post a Comment